Sweet Home Alabama: See you later, alligator

We were treated to another two hour long episode of Sweet Home Alabama on Friday night, and the episode picked up right where we left off: Paige had sent home Dustin and Donny. They both seemed like really great guys, and I think as a testament to that all of the remaining guys only had good things to say about them. I know the next star of SHA will probably be Bubba (assuming Paige chooses Jeremiah, which is only a guess) but I think Donny would also be a really good choice.

Swamp Thing

As you’ll remember from last week’s episode, Big Shaun was getting a date with Paige this week. But instead of a fancy, flashy date like they had in Miami Paige wanted to know if Shaun could hang with her on her terms. So they went alligator hunting.

Shaun came across like a total jerk for the first several episodes of this show, and he probably is a bit of a jerk, but he’s also really funny. Now that he’s not ragging on “hillbillies” all the time, I can actually appreciate his sense of humor. And hey, I’m a pretty sarcastic girl, so I’m sure if I were on a reality TV show there’s a chance I’d get the villain edit as well.

The alligator hunting date was not something I’d choose to do, and it was obviously outside of Shaun’s comfort zone as well. But he made the best of it and laughed a lot, and it seemed like they had a really good time. I never  would have guessed that Shaun would go so far in this, but of all the city guys left I liked him the most.

Shaun went back to the house after his date still decked out in the camo gear they gave him, and all of the guys seemed to get a good laugh out of how much Shaun has changed since they first got to Alabama. All the guys except Landon, of course. At this point, Landon is my least favorite guy left on the show. It’s like he has ‘roid rage all the time. He’s too jealous, too cocky, and so obsessed with Paige that it’s almost creepy. The way he put on his own camo gear just because Shaun was wearing it? That was almost as ridiculous as the chat he tried to have with him. I’m ready to see Landon go home.

Row Boat

Next Little Shaun got a date – and thank goodness, because I think everyone was tired of hearing him whine about not having a second date yet. He and Paige went back to the farm where they had their first date and spent some time on a row boat.

I just don’t see the connection with these two. Little Shaun seems great, but he comes across as SO YOUNG. He told Paige he isn’t ready to get married and settle down yet, and she said she’s OK with that – but later, when Shaun said that to Jeremiah, that worried Jeremiah because he thought Paige was more in line with him, wanting to settle down right away. I can understand how Paige would say two different things – maybe she’s open to settling down soon, but also doesn’t feel the need to rush if the guy she likes isn’t ready. But poor Jeremiah now has another thing to worry about. Can someone get that guy a Xanax?

Paige also told Little Shaun that he and the rest of the guys in the house should lay off Landon. I wish Paige could understand more of why the guys dislike Landon. I hate the phrase “bros before hoes” more than anything, and if I were Paige I also would have sent Jeremy home. But she was about to send Landon home that night too, and I don’t think their chemistry together is any stronger just because he was the one who told her about Jeremy. He’s still way too intense, he’s too jealous of the other guys, and I think those are major red flags. Doesn’t he strike you as the kind of guy who wouldn’t want his girlfriend to go out to a bar with her friends, just in case some other guy might try to talk to her?

Martini Night

I think Todd was practically friend zoned before his date with Paige even began. They went out for cocktails together – a nice, normal date. Again, this is why I like Sweet Home Alabama. No helicopters or round-the-world trips, just normal dates that you or I might go on.

Paige was feeling really stressed out about everything that’s going on, and she needed to talk to someone. So Todd was that sounding board. Which is great, except it kind of suggests that Todd is more of a pal than a date. Up until then, Paige had worried that Todd was a typical smooth-talking car salesman, but on their date she realized he’s more than that.

Todd’s someone I’ve gone back and forth on all season. He’s hilarious, but sometimes he’s come across as a jerk as well. He doesn’t seem right for Paige, but based on his Twitter (and frankly, that’s the only way I judge people these days) I’ve decided he’s incredibly funny.

Now is when I should probably talk about how all the guys gave Little Shaun a picture of his horse. The one that died, named Credit Card. It was sweet, but I wish the horse had a better name than Credit Card. We should just call it C.C. from now on. Agreed?

Eliminations

Before the eliminations, Paige showed up to officially tell the guys to lay off Landon, and then she invited him out on a date. Sigh. Is it awful that I hope their date goes badly? I really don’t care for Landon, and I think Paige would have sent him home a while ago if she didn’t see him as a protector.

I had a feeling Todd would be eliminated since their date gave off a distinct friend vibe, but I wasn’t sure who the other guy would be. I thought it could be Joey, but I wasn’t sure Paige would cut two city guys. I thought there was a chance it could be Little Shaun instead. But it was Joey, a guy Paige was really attracted to but didn’t have much in common with. You’ve got to hand it to Paige for being so honest with the guys – she told Joey that they didn’t have much in common and their conversations had awkward silences.

Wow, would you have ever guessed that Big Shaun would be the last guys standing? That’s certainly a surprise, but of all the guys left I’d say he has one of the stronger relationships with Paige. Paige is left with five guys now: Big Shaun from the city, and Bubba, Jeremiah, Little Shaun and Landon from the country. I still think she’ll end up with Jeremiah, but I think Bubba and Big Shaun will be in the final three with him.

Stray thoughts on the episode:

• With the two hours episodes, we get to see a lot more of the guys’ hilarious shenanigans inside the house. My favorite was Big Shaun pretending to hide in his camo gear, but Little Shaun’s impression of Big Shaun was a close second.
  • At elimination, Jeremiah whispered “I miss you” to Paige and she whispered “I miss you too” back to him – a cute moment if you’re rooting for Paige to pick Jeremiah!
  • My favorite moment from the whole episode? Seeing Bubba without a hat on. All along I’ve been wondering if he’s bald, and now we know he isn’t!

Now I know you guys are going to have a lot to say, so head to the comments and tell me what you think!

This entry was posted in Sweet Home Alabama. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Sweet Home Alabama: See you later, alligator

The bit with Big/City Shaun in his camo "hiding" from the guys outside was hilarious. There are a lot of really funny moments in this show… like when Dustin "pranked" sleeping Todd with a crazy bird squawk and then flour in his face. Or when the two Shauns came skipping up the front steps holding hands after gym time. These guys are a riot.

Thanks for the recap Jill! I always enjoy reading them :)I loved this week's episode! I'm glad the episodes are all two hours long now or else we wouldn't have seen some of these funny footage from the guys. It's funny how in one episode city Shaun goes from the most hated guy to one of the most likable guys in the house. I always thought he was pretty hilarious (the jokes aren't for everyone). I think he's pretty much the same guy as before. He's never going to try to be politically correct, since he doesn't have a filter. But the last thing you can say about him is he's fake. I agree with Bubba and the other guys saying how he's a straight-shooter. At least you knew Shaun would never BS you and you knew where you stood with him. I love how city Shaun is just mocking Landon now. The camo hiding was definitely a highlight. I also loved when little Shaun impersonated big Shaun. It's really nice to see everyone in the house (ok, minus Landon) having a good time and just doing silly things.Jill, I agree that Jeremiah will most likely be her pick in the end. He was my pick from the very beginning! Even when they first met, I felt there was already a connection… she definitely looks at Jeremiah differently than she does the other guys. This goes with the "Love at first sight" she's been alluding to in her interviews, in my opinion of course.I thought the interaction between Paige and Jeremiah during elimination just said it all. I like how none of the guys even noticed Paige walking up towards the group. Jeremiah's face lit up like no other. And that hug? If you listen carefully he whispers "I miss you" to her, and she replies with a "me too". That was such a sweet moment, and I'm glad the editors decided to leave that in. Does Sweet Home Alabama normally have a Final 3? I think for the past 2 seasons, the eliminations go from 4 people to 2 people left standing. Judging by the previews, it looks like Landon is eliminated… leaving Bubba, Jeremiah, little Shaun, and Big Shaun.

I love those rautious interactions between the guys when they are messing with each other having fun. It's a riot . Big Shaun has come around, and that's a good thing as long as he's sincere. But I don't see anything genuine between he and Paige anymore than I see it between Paige , Joey or Todd. Little Shaun is just way too young. He looks like her little brother and it's so awkward to see him saying he's in love with her when he looks like he's 16 years old. He's very sweet, has a great personality, and would be great in the lead with younger girls like Courtney and Tori from last season. Paige isn't that much older than Shaun, but she's just way too sophisticated for him. Landon is looking more desperate and foolish as time goes by. He will never ever be more than a friend to Paige but if he keeps up his jealous control issues, he will lose her friendship too. Bubba is a nice guy .. I like him, but I've never pictured them together. Jeremiah ?? I believe he's her man ..without a doubt!! He fits everything she says she ever wanted in a man. I see them as a perfect match. For me, I always feel happy for them when they're together .They share the kind of joy that's infectious . Their connection has always been so dang obvious and it's impossible to hide the bling in their eyes when they look at each other. They've always been crazy about each other !! JMHO

I think Paige and Jeremiah knew each other from before. Don't they both have a MN connection? I've seen nothing from the show that would make us believe she has fallen in love with him since the show started.

"At this point, Landon is my least favorite guy left on the show. It's like he has 'roid rage all the time. He's too jealous, too cocky, and so obsessed with Paige that it's almost creepy."– I agree totally. Paige should let him go. I feel sorry for his daughter.

Paige has said she never met Jeremiah prior to the show. You can live in MN and not know each other. Actually chances are, you won't. I guess we just all see things differently. We all have our own favorites. I'm just excited to see Paige's love story unfold. It doesn't matter who she ends up choosing, I'm sure she'll choose what's best for her. She seems happy post-show, so that's all that matters for me.

7. Jill Mader says:

Thank you! I agree, there was a lot of really funny moments in this week's episode. I like that we get more of that with a two hour episode.I noticed when he whispered "I miss you too", it was a really sweet moment. I definitely think Paige chooses Jeremiah. You're right – I thought they'd go from four to three to two, but in previous seasons they've gone straight from four to two. In that case, I hope Little Shaun rounds out the final four. I really hope you're right about Landon going home next week, I've had enough of that guy!

8. Jill Mader says:

I agree. I think Little Shaun seems like a great guy, but he just strikes me as SO young. He'd definitely be a better match with someone like Courtney from last season.

Little Shaun is funny, and I like southern accents, but his voice would drive me crazy. But some lady will love it! Landon, I don't even want to waste on him… City Shaun, funny and handsome. I just wish he didnt swear so much. It's personally a turn off. Wish him the best! Bubba, everyone loves Bubba…except me. What is wrong with me!?!? I have nothing negative to say about him, and he is a nice looking man. I guess I find him to be a bit melancholy. No highs or lows in his emotions, just ho-hum. No worries, he has hundreds of ladies who love him!! Jeremiah was my favorite from episode one. His smile sold me!!! Paige is doing a great job. I loved her from season 2, and though I didn't want to see her go, I am so glad she didn't end up with Tribble!

I so agree with everything you have said here. Paige and Jeremiah are beautiful together. They make me happy to watch them. I watch their scenes over and over. Who could have Jeremiah smile at them and not fall in love with him?!!! So glad they kept the "I miss you" scene.

I too saw the connection between Paige and Jeremiah when they shared their first talk by the 7720 JD. Paige's eyes were sooo lit up…if you watch the episodes closely, they steal glances at each other often…their body language…that nervousness/excitement feeling they're feel when you meet "the one." THE SIGNS ARE ALL THERE…MINNESOTAN WATCHING A TRUE LOVE STORY…

PERFECT! THIS SUMS IT UP FOR MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY! YOU READ MY MIND…SCARY!

Add me to the list of people who loved Jeremiah from day one. I'm not even sure what it was about him, but something about him grabbed me. And can anyone please explain how the city guys get on this show? I'd imagine they don't watch CMT, so how in the world do they even know the show exists? (I just discovered it this year!) And how do they know where/when/how to apply? Do they have agents or something? I don't understand how it works.

Very well written! Couldn't have said it any better. Sums up my thoughts exactly. I can't believe it actually. I agree with everything… and that hardly ever happens! :) It's actually weirding me out a bit: Everything that I thought is mentioned… Even the little things you mentioned, like Jeremiah worrying now more and getting him a Xanax and that Credit Card is a not really the best name. Really spooky. The only thing I disagree and that didn't see coming is that she let Joey go instead of Landon. -Mia

Everyone seems to think paige will end up with Jeremiah but I don't think they're a good match.He seems like a jealous type and can't open up to her. Landon is ridiculous. He would be so controlling and attached if they were together. Like he owns her.I love little Shaun! He has the cuttest accent and ain't afraid to show his emotions and how he feels. But I don't see him ending up with Paige.Bubba is boring. I loved his first date plan and it was so romantic, but it's like he has no personality! I don't see him with paige either.And lastly… Big Shaun. At the beginning of the show I couldn't stand him, now he's one of my two favorites on the show! He's definetly changed during his time in Alabama! Eventhough I'm Southern and would usually pull for the southern boys, I can definetly see Big Shaun and Paige together.

I really don't think that Bubba will be on season 4. He is a good guy but when it comes to women he is definetly a one girl kind of person. As much as I want Paige to pick Jeremiah, he seems more like the "bachelor" type and I can see him doing another season to find the wife he is looking for. Landon will be going home next week for sure and it is very creepy the way he obsesses about Paige when they haven't even had a real date! He wants to make everyone else feel bad but when Big Shaun said something to him at elimination he said something like, " no one can rain in my parade" and that is exactly what he do when Shaun came home from his date. Paige seems to have found the one and I have a feeling it's Bubba.

Not sure who she ends up with, but I agree that Paige has found love. I still think it's Jeremiah. SHA would never cast Jeremiah as their next lead. First of all, he's on the wrong side of the Mason Dixon line. A lot of people had issues with Paige as the lead since she wasn't from Alabama…. I could only imagine the outcry when Jeremiah, who's not even southern, would bring. Secondly, I think Jeremiah would be receiving a much better edit if the producers wanted him as their next lead. I also don't think Jeremiah would be interested. He's clearly not very comfortable with the cameras (yes, he's a singer. But going on stage is different than being filmed 24/7), especially when he has to talk about more private matters such as his feelings for Paige.I guess we can both definitely agree that Landon is NOT for Paige LOL. That kiss on the beach? Cringe worthy. I can't believe he "proposes"….

18. Erica says:

Love your recap. For some reason my pvr didn't tape the second hour, so I missed who was eliminated. Thanks for keeping me informed

I agree! I always watch their scenes together over and over too! I've never done that on a show like this before but their love story is so darn infectious and addicting! Haha. I'm completely convinced that Paige chooses Jeremiah : )

I feel the same way. Nothing against Bubba, he is a good guy, but I've been wondering – surely I'm not the only girl who doesn't really care for him!? Haha. Jeremiah is much more exciting. : ) I saw on Paige's fb page that she wants a guy with a good heart but also some swag – I'd say Jeremiah is the only one left who fits the bill!

Its so nice to know there are others who can't get enough of Paige and Jeremiah either. I love seeing them together. They are such a beautiful couple. I feel so sorry for him right now because he needs to be near her. He's so frustrated and aggrivated…missing her so much. He's so darn cute about it, the poor guy needs a hug. It has to be extremely difficult for her trying to navigate her way to the finale . She hates hurting people I think she's getting tired ,and she misses Jeremiah…I just know it…

Paige and Jeremiah's love story is going to turn out so perfect. So what are we going to be doing after the finale ??? I am going to be lost …..LOL

I guess we are reading each others minds,. There's nothing wrong with Bubba…he's a very nice man, but I would never be attracted to him as he's just Bubba…he just wouldn't excite me. He's a great guy though. There has to be a reason he's such a fan favorite. I love Jeremiah..all he has to do is smile that smile – he has so much charisma. On top of that..he has a beautiful voice. .what an entertainer..he's so full of energy so fun and flirty which is so important for an entertainer. From what I have seen, he's got it all which includes Paige Duke.. JMHO

Most everybody loves country music …CMT delivers hours of great videos and movies etc. The city guys may have found their info for SHA there or the internet..or maybe a friend signed them up. I remember when CMT announced they were casting for season 3. I have to give these people credit…I would never in a million years have the nerve to do the show. I would fail miserably. Paige Duke is awesome…her love story is sweet…and she looks so beautiful in love with jeremiah james…. JMO can't see her with anybody else they are so cute together.

Bubba is boring to me, too. So they went for a horse back ride on the beach and he had a fire works show..it was a romantic moment she could have shared with anybody. But her combine date with Jeremiah was something that nobody else could replicate . They were radiant together …no props or wooing was required while she went to work with him. I think they went from being smitten with each other to falling in love on that 7720 John Deere with his bandana tied around her wrist. As for the other guys..one at a time they will go home until its just Paige and Jeremiah alone at last. But I have a hunch we are going to see some more drama before that happens. JMHO. …..

26. Jill Mader says:

Glad you liked it!

I hate comments like the one above. Leave some excitement for those who DON'T know the outcome! It's really a shame people like yourself ruin it for the rest! Sadly, hopefully not many SHA fans read this blog! Week after week it has proved to be one huge spoiler alert because of those who can't simply keep a secret!

How is it any different from all the fans on Facebook who are certain she picks Bubba? No one has posted any spoilers here, just their opinions based on watching the show and the interaction between Paige and the guys.You certainly aren't required to read this blog if it bothers you that much!

That was my comment somebody hates. I don't read spoilers…I know nothing about them…what I do know is what I see with an open heart, an open mind and my own two eyes. What I see between Paige and Jeremiah are two people in love trying to get where they are going . Peace !!

Thanks Jill…this is a fun place to visit. I love your blogs. Can't wait for the next one. :)

Jill. Love your take on this show. Very funny. Glad I found your blog. Also, I think Jeremiah is definitely the final pick. When Paige told Landon that she doesn't know why she can't pick the guys that are good for her, I think she was talking about Bubba (not Landon-she was just trying to help him from having a breakdown). She loves Jeremiah, but is scared of getting hurt. She knows Bubba is the safe choice, but not the one she has fallen for. Also, I think Austin S. will be the next bachelor on Sweet Home…he is a Bama Boy who "left for his job". I think the producers saw there was not a connection between he and Paige (not sure why–he is a cutie), but I think they offered him the opportunity. When he was leaving, Paige said I think he made the right choice. When Tribble let Paige go, she started filming season 3 before Tribble's show was done. Just a guess.

Oh my gosh…are you kidding? Bubba is amazing. The way he was kissing her tears away…not just anybody would do that! He's so caring, and he just has a good heart. I hope Paige picks him, but I have a feeling she'll go with Jeremiah. :/