Grey’s Anatomy – 30 Days Later

When I talked about what TV shows I’d be watching this year, I mentioned that I was on the fence about Grey’s Anatomy. Nostalgia is a big part of why I watch the show, and I can never seen to cut ties with it.

Yeah. Not much has changed there.

The season premiere picked up a month after the plane crash, and I feel rather cheated. They spent “like, a week” in the woods? (They did if Seattle Grace intern gossip is to be believed.) You don’t just throw something like that at us in the finale and then only vaguely discuss it in the season premiere. What happened? How did they get rescued? What did they eat? Why did they cut off Arizona’s leg? We better get some background on that one.

There are various repercussions. As mentioned, Arizona is now an amputee – and depressed. She won’t leave her bed, and so Callie cries a lot. Mark died. Lexie was already dead. Derek’s hand is numb. Meredith is mean and lonely, and the interns call her “Medusa”. Christina is in Minnesota.

I appreciated how the episode served as an obituary to Mark’s character as they neared the date and time when they’d have to take him off life support. That moment had an effect on everyone, and I especially liked how it revealed what Avery and Mark’s relationship had become.

I hated how long it took to find out what happened to Arizona. The way they made it seem like she had died, and the mystery, it wasn’t suspenseful. It just felt as though we were being toyed with. I also hated seeing April on a farm, dressed in the most cliche way possible. It just felt silly and an illogical move, but I’m at least glad that she’ll be returning to the hospital.

Introducing new characters in this episode was necessary, but at times felt invasive since we were also saying goodbye to characters. I didn’t like all of it, but I enjoyed seeing two actors I really like – Gaius Charles (Smash from Friday Night Lights) and Tina Majorino (Mac from Veronica Mars, a role on Big Love, other work…). There were some funny moments, too (Booty Call Bailey!) and overall I liked the episode, but I still have hesitations about this season. I still feel the series has gone on too long.

Karev couldn’t leave for John Hopkins knowing that his sick orphan program was being canned. Christina is miserable and it’s only a matter of time before she comes back too. So aren’t we almost entirely back to where we were before the plane crash, before the boards exams, etc? Yes. Minus a couple of character, we are. It might be time to take Grey’s Anatomy off life support.

This entry was posted in Grey's Anatomy. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Grey’s Anatomy – 30 Days Later

1. DISAGREE! This is still definitely one of my favourite shows. The only one I want to watch when it airs and not later. I loved the show, and from the teasers of next week, it looks like we will get all the answers of what happened during the crash and in the aftermath. I’m interested in why they are making us wait a little longer for the answers we’ve been waiting for all summer.

I LOVED what they did with Arizona. I totally assumed she had just died. And then to find out that she was actually alive but just hating life? Wow. Good TV, that.

I like that Grey’s Anatomy still gets me invested in the characters and gives me a moment every week to really feel something that isn’t related to my real life. Grey’s doesn’t bore me. The story isn’t stale.

That’s my opinion. :)

2. Veronica says:

I agree. I think this might be the last season of my beloved Grey’s. I think they “jumped the shark” with the plane crash. And haven’t we done the numb hand story with Burke in season 2 or 3?

Yep, they definitely have. Recycling storylines is definitely a sign that a show is dying.

3. Scott says:

I think I read somewhere a while ago that Shonda planned episode 1 to jump ahead in time and then have episode 2 go right back to where the season finale left off and show what happened in the woods, so I’m looking forward to that.

I loved when Hunt went to get April off the farm – after not seeing her the whole episode I was afraid she’d been written out and she’s one of my favourite characters (sans Jesus freakouts).

I love Medusa and BCB, plus seeing Christina deal with weird people is always enjoyable, and she’ll definitely be back as soon as she can get on a plane (how did she get to Mayo in the first place – coach?).

I’m glad we got last night’s episode to fill in the blanks after the crash, it was a good one.

What I liked:
    -Bailey is now the nice doctor in light of Meredith’s meanness and seeing Bailey all happy.
    -Karev doing every new intern he could before leaving for Hopkins
    -The bar scene between Meredith and Karev and Christina saying “point me”
    -The way they chose to have the episode revolve around Mark’s death, unlike Lexie’s death which was sudden and just over, it was great that we got to linger over Mark and I loved the flashbacks they showed (although Derek and Addison’s wedding was at least a decade earlier and they look exactly the same).
    -Christina in Minnesota trying to be herself in the midst of all that midwestern hospitality (and PS she probably drove to Minnesota).
    -Brian “Smash” Williams back on tv!

What I didn’t like:
    -Seeing April with a pig on a leash, I mean we get it, she left the program, did they have to go that far?
    -New interns, it just felt weird but hopefuly get worked out.
    -Meredith getting off the plane, Another over-the-top scene that NEVER would have happened and if it did she’d be at airport security, not drinking in the bar.
    -Meredith just taking off after Christina with no thought to Zola.
    -Derek’s hand. OK, we get he needs an arc but it feels like a repeat of Burke, right down to him wiggling his fingers in surgery.

Mixed. We’ll see.

Totally agree! I’m glad we saw Zola this week, it felt weird that she wasn’t around at all in the first episode.

5. Angela says:

I’m kind of tired of it all as well, but yet I’m not. I still love it. I want to see what happens. I’ll miss Mark and Lexie. It’ll be interesting (yet likely frustrating) to see what Cristina has to say when Owen doesn’t show up since Karev told her he was coming, and really he was going to get April…

6. lista says:

Don’t you dare suggest talking Grey’s Anatomy of the life support because there are many millions still following the show closely! Although I really hate to see Mark go but I love the way Shonda & team handled his departure, which was absolutely emotive. We will all miss Mark Sloan dearly. I felt totally cheated that there were so little screen time between Meredith and Derek in the season premier. It is kinda tiring seeing Meredith constantly running to Christina and leaving Derek behind. She needs to grow up for heaven sake!

7. patty says:

Personally I think they should have made this episode the 2nd the next one that actually picks up after the plane crash the premier. I was quit dissapointed with the jump ahead thing.

I agree, after seeing last night’s episode I wish they’d opened the season with it.

8. patty says:

wow should have proof read that before posting lol

9. Lindsay says:

I’m totally with you. I don’t know why I’m still watching this show, either. It feels like they have run out of weird and ridiculous ways to kill people or get them off the show. The plane crash altogether was stupid. The fact that the killed off Mark and Lexie seemed like a cheap way to get viewers. Why is it that these characters are forced to live through one giant trauma at every single season finale? And now Arizona is an amputee? Really? Because that was necessary. Greys needs to calm down and go back to what made it great—a focus on friendships and relationships, and quit throwing in these over-the-top story lines. That new show about the doctor Emily something MD looks like it might replace Greys for me.