Dexter – Blue Christmas

dexterDexter is a show that has, like many others, gone downhill in its final seasons. It’s never really been able to top the Trinity season, and last year was a disaster. This season was a marked improvement upon that, but I still can’t say this show is what it once was. I’ve liked some of the storylines this season, but it has felt scattered.

There are a lot of threads in this season that have ended too quickly (Isaak) or been too uninteresting (Quinn). But Dexter has effectively drawn me in with two stories – Dexter and Deb’s relationship (and, through her role as an obstacle for them, Hannah) and LaGuerta’s pursuit of the real Bay Harbor Butcher. This episode gave us some major developments there, and I thought one was a hit and one was a miss.

The miss was the Deb, Dexter and Hannah storyline. Deb ended up in the hospital after a car wreck – and an overdose on anti-anxiety medication was the answer. An overdose that happened soon after a surprise visit from Hannah, looking to bury the hatchet since things were getting serious with her and Dexter. I think what would have made this story more compelling is if we weren’t sure that Hannah poisoned Deb. But since we knew that Hannah was aware that Deb was about to make a witness to another one of Hannah’s murders crack, it was all too obvious.

Dexter turned Hannah in, which I think to Hannah was worse than being murdered. It was a decent end to her story, but I wish there’d been more subtlety in the execution.

Now for the positive. I loved what they did with the LaGuerta storyline. The release from prison of one of Dexter’s mom’s murderers was a sting, a trap to see if Dexter would follow through. LaGuerta got so close, and I’m still on the edge of my seat. Estrada let it slip, though – he revealed that there’d been a push for his release from the captain of Miami Metro, and that gave Dexter enough time to get away. So LaGuerta knows for sure that Dexter is a serial killer, but she still needs to prove it. Can she do that before Dexter kills her?

I think Dexter needs to be caught. Honestly, Dexter killing LaGuerta would not be that interesting at this point. He has broken his code for less. I hope that the show does the right thing and delivers the more captivating outcome. Despite a flawed season, this storyline has been strong enough that I’m still excited for the finale.

What did you guys think?

This entry was posted in Dexter. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Dexter – Blue Christmas

1. Jose says:

I’m of two minds on the LaGuerta sting on the latest episode. It was one of the most suspenseful moments of the season and sets up the rest of the season, and probably the series very well. On the other hand, it was such an obvious set-up that it seems out of character for Dexter to take the bait without thinking twice. It seemed obvious to me what was going on when we learned that guy was getting released from prison. I think Dexter should have put everything together when he learned LaGuerta was investigating him. I expected Harry to show up on the drive to the kill room and say “doesn’t this seem a little too easy, Dexter?”. Maybe that’s just me.

2. Bud says:

With a few hits and misses, I am loving this season. But you’re right – they can’t top the Trinity season. Jose, you were paying attention! I was fooled just as easy as Dexter was, and I thought, LaGuerta is much better at police work than Matthews says she is.The only giveaway was how close it was to the end of the episode – there wasn’t enough time to milk the closure of avenging his mother’s death. I hope Dexter gets that at least.

Problem is, if Dexter is busted next week, what do they do with the show next season if he’s locked up?

I liked the interplay with Hannah and Dexter – there was a little bit of plumbing the depths of Dexter’s psyche that gave us some insight. Ironically, Hannah is a better therapist than Deb’s counselor was! And speaking of Hannah, she has enough evidence for LaGuerta, which she has no reason to hold back now.

I don’t know if you saw the previews, but [SPOILER]:

Looks like they will reprise the Doakes character in the finale.

3. Aaron Sirois says:

I honestly think Hannah may have been innocent, at least as far as the Deb thing goes. I think Deb’s whole speech about not resting until Hannah was behind bars was a strong hint that Deb crashed her own car and made it look like she was poisoned.

And good God this finale is by far the most interested I’ve been in Dexter since Trinity. I loved this episode completely. The Quinn thing got wrapped up nicely (him getting dumped because he’s a moron), Bautista getting a semblance of a happy ending, the did she or didn’t she poisoning (again, I think Deb faked the poisoning to save Dex from Hannah), LaGuerta’s trap was great, etc.

Dex has got one more season, so I don’t know if he can be caught, unless they’re going to spend the final season as some sort of on the run and/or in prison thing. Which I don’t know think would work as it would likely mean the complete removal of all the secondary characters. Sunday can’t come soon enough.

Well, I saw that {SPOILER] too and it just seems too obvious,. there has to be some twist, otherwise there is no point to watching it.

During the parole hearing, I thought his release was a set up but then I really pushed it aside and was on the edge of my seat during LaGuerta’s set up.

I think Hannah did poison Deb, she was never going to let up, the only way was to try and get rid of her. And besides it doesn’t matter, because she was busted for another crime. Although if Dexter really is busted, I am pretty sure that any case he worked on would be suspect which might mean Hannah would be released. And what happens to Deb if Dexter is arrested? Will they get to her?

This season has had stuff I’ve not been too interested in but I do think they are amping up the suspense and we may just be in for as wild a ride in the finale as the Trinity season.

5. Jill says:

Huh. Just watched the trailer for Sunday’s episode. Wow – it reveals a lot, but I’m pretty excited to see what really happens.

6. Bud says:

Yeah, there has to be a twist. Did it seem like Dexter had less kills this season? Someone has to end up on the table before it’s all over.