- I watched bits and pieces of the red carpet, and I thought it was pretty blah this year. These were my favorites.
Lupita Nyong’o was my favorite, even though I don’t love the plunging neckline. But the color, skirt, belt and hair/makeup are all perfect. I think she’s really getting the award here for “Best Overall Awards Season” because she has nailed it every time.
I love Jennifer Lawrence and Anne Hathaway’s sleek dresses. And I included Cate Blanchett because she wore a pretty dress, but I wished it had been more creative. She usually looks so unique, and this was quite typical. I feel like we’ve seen it on every young starlet. But I just can’t hate on Cate, she always looks like a goddess.
- Jared Leto’s speech made me tear up. Moms, guys. They really get me. (The transition to Ukraine and Venezuela was awkward and let’s pretend it never happened. It came back around when he spoke about AIDS.)
- I adored Pharrell’s performance – especially when he danced with Lupita Nyong’o in the audience (and Amy Adams and Meryl Streep). The Oscars are so stuffy, it was nice to see something fun and “happy”.
- Darlene Love, amiright?
- I thought the little clip we saw of Angelina Jolie speaking about her mother when accepting an award for humanitarianism was lovely. And I liked that she brought her son to that event. Also, I love Angela Lansbury. I wish we’d seen more of those speeches, and less movie montages.
- I’m thrilled that Lupita Nyong’o won. That movie, and that role – wow. She deserved it, and her speech was lovely. Also, can we talk about that Liza Minnelli hug? That sure came out of nowhere.
- There were so many times during the show that I thought “Why is this happening? How is this relevant? Is this really necessary?” The tribute to The Wizard of Oz was one of those times, yet I’m never unhappy to see Pink.
- John Travolta’s epic mispronunciation of “Idina Menzel” is STILL making me laugh.
Though Ellen had some funny bits, overall I’m not a fan of her as an Oscars host. Her go-to schtick is this repetitive, stalling rambling – something that doesn’t go over great when the show is running over and people’s speeches are getting cut short.
What did you guys think?